East Lansing itself is on exhibit at the Michigan State University Museum as “East Lansing Modern, 1940-1970” explores the city’s place in Michigan’s modern design heritage. Especially following World War II, East Lansing’s population grew dramatically, and with that boom came a need for additional housing for GI-Bill students and their families, as well as MSU faculty. Many bought traditional residences within walking distance of the campus, yet several embraced modernist principles and worked primarily with local architects to design their homes.
Inspiration for the exhibit began with the State Historic Preservation Office’s “Michigan Modern” project
to inventory modernist architecture across the state. From there students in Bandes’ Fall 2012 “Michigan Modern” course researched East Lansing’s architectural examples, and then Bandes and a team of research assistants completed the exhibit in the spring.