2014-2016 Samuel H. Kress New York Art Resources Consortium (NYARC) Fellow
Fixed duration position: 24 months from date of hire; non-renewable
Expected start date: September 2014
The New York Art Resources Consortium (NYARC), comprised of the research libraries of The Museum of Modern Art, The Frick Collection, and the Brooklyn Museum, invites applications for a Fellow position generously funded by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation. This fellowship will provide an emerging librarian with a unique opportunity to learn the operations of three leading art museum libraries, experience hands-on training in the field of public information services, and gain an in-depth understanding of developing digital tools for researchers in the field. The Kress Fellow will spend eight months onsite at each NYARC institution for a total of two years in the position.
- Assist staff and public patrons with research questions posed to the library and archives of each institution; answer reference questions via email; conduct instructional library and research tool sessions for patrons; and engage in outreach programs to promote NYARC’s web archive collection of art research materials.
- Assess and provide recommendations regarding the usability and interface design of a new tool that will be implemented as part of NYARC’s web archiving initiative, both throughout its development and after its launch. This will involve engagement with researchers, staff, and a technical team.
- Coordinate efforts with other departments within each museum such as Digital Media, Marketing and Communications, and Education to promote NYARC’s research resources through social media platforms and other outreach.
- Contribute to the goals of institution-specific library initiatives.
- Master's degree from an ALA-accredited program for library and information science conferred by June 2014.
- Demonstrated interest in reference services, art, and art history.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and reference interview skills.
- Enthusiasm for outreach work, engaging with patrons, and teaching.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Experience using electronic resources and basic web technologies.
Reports to Librarian, Reader Services, The Museum of Modern Art; Chief of Public Services, Frick Art Reference Library; Assistant Librarian, Brooklyn Museum
Salary & benefits: The stipend for this full-time (35 hours/week) position is $30,000 per year. In addition, the Kress Fellow will receive $2,000 annually for travel to the annual conference of the Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA). Health benefits are included.
Application deadline: Applicants should submit a current resume, statement of interest, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “2014-2016 Kress NYARC Fellowship” in the email subject. Applications will be accepted through July 18, 2014.
Notification: Finalists will receive notification via email by August 8, 2014.