Enjoy the sights and sounds of an old-fashioned holiday celebration in Historic Albany, Oregon.
This year’s tour features five historic homes.
These are private residences, which have been lovingly restored and beautifully decorated for the holidays.
Also open to tour:
· Whitespires Church (1891) Ring the bell!
· United Presbyterian Church (1913) Music playing through out the tour
· Albany Regional Museum (1887) Light refreshment will be served at this location.
· Carnegie Library (1914) Sit a spell and warm yourself by the fireplace.
· Historic Carousel and Museum (1946) See the carvers at work building this amazing carousel.
· Monteith House Museum (1849). As the bell on the front door announces your arrival, you will be transported back to Christmas 1863.
The Monteith House will be decorated in 19th Century style with hand made ornaments and natural greens.
This will be great opportunity to look back at Holiday traditions, from a time when Christmas gifts were small tokens of love,
when families were gathered together to string popcorn and sing carols. Living history presenters will be popping corn in the fireplace,
playing carols on the 1860 pump organ and invite you to join them in this festive time.
Over the last few years many tour goers have told us that the Monteith House is their favorite stop on the tour because the house,
lit by candles and oil lamps, is decorated so simply and the fire light softens the edges of the rooms giving the place a glow that is unmatched by electric lights.
· Father Christmas will be out and about with his bag of treats.
· Take a moment to enjoy the fire lit in the Carnegie Library. It is the only time all year this fireplace is used and it creates a soft warm glow that transcends time.
· Piano and Viola Christmas music will be played at the United Presbyterian Church
· Out of Compliance Guitar & vocal duo will perform traditional holiday songs roaming between the tour locations.
Trolley and Horse Drawn Wagon
Chafin Farms horse-drawn wagon will take you through the Historic Downtown District and Albany’s vintage trolley will be making rounds as well.
Purchase your tickets at the Albany Visitors Association 110 3rd Ave SE in Historic Downtown Albany. Tickets are also available at the Albany Regional Museum. Ticket sales begin at 1pm and continue until 6pm. The tour hours are 2pm to 7pm. Music, refreshments, horse-drawn wagon rides, and vintage trolley rides are all included in the $15 ticket price ($12 for seniors and groups of 10 or more). Monteith Historical Society Members ticket price $10. Well-behaved children under 12 are admitted free with a paid adult. Proceeds from the tour benefit the Monteith Historical Society and its programs.
Take Your Time
This tour is self-guided. You can tour the homes in any order you like. Spend as much or as little time at each location as suites you. Transportation is by your own vehicle, by horse drawn wagon and vintage trolley. Several of the buildings are within easy walking distance of each other, a few are outside the district requiring your own vehicle for transportation. Visitors usually take 3 to 4 hours sometimes more.