SAH Newsletter

SAHARA Highlights: Ryerson & Burnham Archives, Art Institute of Chicago

by Jacqueline Spafford and Jeffrey Klee, SAHARA Co-Editors | Jun 20, 2017

This month we’re highlighting one of SAHARA’s successful institutional partnerships: the Ryerson & Burnham Archives at the Art Institute of Chicago. The nearly 300 images include many architectural jewels: Chicago homes and institutions (many since demolished), sites across the US, and beyond. Most were photographed in the late 19th century. SAH Executive Director Pauline Saliga coordinated this contribution with the following people, and would like to thank them for their work and generosity: Jack Perry Brown, the former Director of the Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, who agreed to generously share a selection of the Library’s digitized images with SAHARA; the former Architectural Archivist at the Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, Mary Woolever, who made the selection; and current Architectural Archivist Nathaniel Parks, who uploaded, mapped metadata, and oversaw the technical work.  

To see more, visit SAHARA: http://sahara.artstor.org/library/portals/SAHARA/rloginSAH.html 

To learn more about contributing to SAHARA, visit: http://www.sah.org/publications-and-research/sahara

1_HSAHARA__1113_23527115
R.H. White Company, 518-536 Washington St, Boston.  Built 1876, demolished c. 1978.  Architects: Peabody & Stearns.  Photographed by Albert Levy, c. 1890.

2_HSAHARA__1113_23523770
The Auditorium Building at 430 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago, Adler & Sullivan, 1886-1890.  This photo shows “John Vinci working on a stencil recovery project” during the 1954-63 restoration.  Photographer: Richard Nickel.

3_HSAHARA__1113_23560664_cropped
The library of the Franklin MacVeagh Residence, H.H. Richardson, 1885-1887.  The residence stood at 1400 N. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago; it was demolished in 1922.  Photo: C. Allgeier, c. 1890.

4_HSAHARA__1113_23526777_cropped
The Parson John Williams Residence, Deerfield, Massachusetts, c. 1760.  Hand-tinted lantern slide, photographed by Frederick O. Bemm, ca. 1900-14.

5_HSAHARA__1113_23523674_cropped
The vestibule and grand staircase of the Allegheny County Courthouse and Jail, 436 Grant St., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  Architect: H.H. Richardson, 1884-1888.  Photographed by J. W. Taylor, c. 1890s.

6_HSAHARA__1113_23523877
Aaron Siskind photographing the Max M. Rothschild Building, Chicago, c. 1953.  Photographer: Richard Nickel.

7_HSAHARA__1113_23559741_cropped
The Butler Brothers warehouse buildings, 111 N. Canal Street (view from the Randolph St. bridge), Chicago.  Architects: D.H. Burnham & Co, 1913.  Photographed by J.W. Taylor, 1913-16.

8_HSAHARA__1113_23527117
Marengo Public School, Marengo, Illinois.   Built c. 1880s, demolished 1993.  Architects: Adler & Sullivan.  Photographer: Richard Nickel

 

Driehaus_SH_Horizontal_RGB_275_100
SAH thanks The Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Fund at The Chicago Community Foundation for its operating support.
Society of Architectural Historians
1365 N. Astor Street
Chicago, Illinois 60610
312.573.1365
Copyright - (c) 2012