A Digital Archive of Architecture Images
SAHARA is a digital image archive developed by the Society of Architectural Historians in collaboration with Artstor. Funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, SAHARA is a collection of over 100,000 images of architecture and landscapes contributed by SAH members—architects, scholars, photographers, graduate students, preservationists, and others who share an interest in the built environment.
SAH members can:
- upload their digital photographs and QTVR panoramas to a shared online archive
- organize images in work folders
- download images to a computer or directly to PowerPoint
- collaborate with other members to create image categories for teaching and research
The SAHARA collection has been developed for all who teach, study, interpret, photograph, design, and preserve the built environment worldwide.
TIPS FOR USING SAHARA
Search and Download
- Use the advanced search to specify date ranges, locations, and other criteria.
- Use the ARTstor ‘Search Tips’ to modify keyword and advanced searches.
- Use the personal work folders to group images for your upcoming courses or research.
- Download images in your work folders directly to PowerPoint.
- NEW in Shared Shelf: use the spreadsheet contribution interface to sort records by name, location, date, or other criteria and create customized browsing screens to display only relevant information
- NEW in Shared Shelf: when contributing multiple images of a single building, edit all images with common descriptive information at once, eliminating repetitive cataloguing
to access Artstor training documents and video tutorials.
CONTACT SAH membership and SAHARA access questions:
Anne Bird, Director of Membership (firstname.lastname@example.org
) Technical Troubleshooting: email@example.com
Jackie Spafford (firstname.lastname@example.org
) and Jeffrey Klee (email@example.com