The Association for Gravestone Studies, established in 1976, is pleased to announce the 2020 annual conference will be in Austin, Texas at St. Edward's University, June 23-28, 2020.
It also invites paper, panel, and hands-on session proposals for the meeting. Topics include all aspects of the study of gravestones, cemeteries, or closely related fields including but not limited to:
· Gravestone iconography, typography, material, form, and style analyses;
· Carver, sculptor, and monument company studies;
· Social, economic, vernacular, and popular culture topics;
· Gravestones and cemeteries as resources for genealogy and local history;
· Conservation and preservation techniques and approaches;
· Cemetery management and legal issues;
· Remote sensing, mapping, and aerial photography;
· Funerary and burial materials and practices; and,
· Interpretive and educational programming.
We particularly welcome submissions from researchers and practitioners from outside the United States. Applicants should submit the https://www.gravestonestudies.org/images/Conference/AGS-2020-proposal-form-fillable.pdf, a 400-word abstract of the proposed presentation, and a 250-word CV summary for each presenter. Proposals are due March 1, 2020 either by mail to AGS, 278 Main Street, Suite 209, Greenfield, MA 01301 or by email to AGSConfProposals@gmail.com. Selected presenters will be notified by Friday, March 27, 2020. For additional information about the conference or AGS, visit our website at https://www.gravestonestudies.org/.