98 search results for louis kahn
- Louis Kahn's Modernism with William Whitaker
- Louis Kahn's Modernism with William Whitaker, William Whitaker, curator of the Penn Architectural Archives, will give a presentation on his new co-authored book, The Houses of Louis Kahn (Yale, 2013), for the Philadelphia Chapter of SAH on Thursday, December 12, 2013, at 6 p.m., at the Penn Architectural Archives, 220 South 34th Street. Read More
- Louis Kahn's African-American Vernacular
- Louis Kahn's African-American Vernacular, to learn that the caller on the other line was a resident of a Louis Kahn house and, most strikingly, a Louis Kahn house that has been largely forgotten. In 1942, Kahn, Oscar Storonov, and George Howe, worked in Louis Kahn's archives as a student, and wanted to seize the moment that William Whitaker and Ben Marcus have set into motion with their spectacular new book, The Houses of Louis Kahn, and is now surrounded by Coatesville High School completed in 1968. Louis Kahn was a housing
- Study Day: Louis Kahn in San Diego and La Jolla
- Study Day: Louis Kahn in San Diego and La Jolla, to attend SAH’s “Louis Kahn Study Day” on Friday, November 4. My aim was to think through some, Institute. Installation of Louis Kahn's travel postcards at SDMA exhibition Louis Kahn: The Power of Architecture. The exhibition Louis Kahn: The Power of Architecture at SDMA comprises six, Louis Kahn, thanks to a typographical error, is acclaimed as “Luis Kahn” in my Bangladeshi passport, I, of Interior Courtyard, 1966. Letters exchanged between Luis Barragan and Louis Kahn. Plaza
- Save the Date for the SAH Study Day "Louis Kahn in San Diego and La Jolla"
- Save the Date for the SAH Study Day "Louis Kahn in San Diego and La Jolla", Save the date for the SAH Study Day "Louis Kahn in San Diego and La Jolla" on November 4, 2016, , will lead a special preview tour of their exhibition Louis Kahn: The Power of Architecture at the San Diego Museum of Art, the first retrospective of Louis Kahn’s work in two decades.
After lunch, participants will get a behind-the-scenes tour of Kahn’s renowned Salk Institute for Biological, 13. Photo: Salk Institute in La Jolla, California, Louis Kahn, 1959–65 © The Architectural
- Louis I. Kahn Study Tour: Contemporaries
- Louis I. Kahn Study Tour: Contemporaries, by: Amber Wiley
While on the Kahn tour we had the pleasure of visiting architectural works by persons associated with Kahn, either by virtue of collaboration, education, or simply overlapping periods of significant work in Philadelphia and its suburbs. We looked at the work of many of his contemporaries including Robert Venturi, I.M. Pei, Mitchell/Giurgola, Joel Levinson, and GBQC.
The Cooper House (1961) by architecture firm GBQC was particularly impressive
- Louis I. Kahn Study Tour: Institutional Work
- Louis I. Kahn Study Tour: Institutional Work, the tour we traveled to New Haven to view some of Kahn’s most famous institutional work. Carter, , with a quick trip to the archives of Sterling Memorial Library to view original drawings by Kahn and Paul, Gallery (with Douglass Orr, 1951-53) is considered by many to be Kahn’s earliest substantial commission. The Yale University Art Gallery (YUAG) was the first of three art museums that Kahn would design, Swartwout.
One of Kahn’s major innovations in the YUAG was the use
- Kahn Tour: Rowhouses and Estates
- Kahn Tour: Rowhouses and Estates, is an accepted applicant to Jersey Homesteads (1936). Quotes from Louis Kahn. “The Value and Aim, , should arrest our attention.
Kahn grew up in such Philadelphia row houses, moving seventeen times in two years (usually due to trouble paying rent). Kahn’s moving personal story, community. Perhaps this is because many of us (self included) speak from its upper end.
Kahn may, opportunities for first wave modernists to test their ideas on a large scale. Many of Kahn’s later
- Kahn Tour: "The Value and Aim in Sketching"
- Kahn Tour: "The Value and Aim in Sketching", by: J. Tobias In 1931 the young Louis Kahn published his thoughts on “The Value and Aim, the SAH Louis Kahn tour presented an opportunity to reflect upon these Values and Aims.
In his article Kahn states, “The capacity to see comes from persistently analysing our reactions to what we, me to “see” Kahn better. Perhaps blog readers will see something new in Kahn, too, or have reactions of their own.
Image: Jennifer Tobias. Center City, Philadelphia. near Kahn’s office. PSFS
- Photos of Recent Kahn Study Tour Now Posted to SAH Blog
- SAH is pleased to announce updates to the SAH Study Tour blog, a place where Fellowship winners who participated in recent SAH Study Tours will post comments and photographs to document their experience on the tour. Visit recent updates from the Louis Kahn and Estates of Chicago's North Shore Study Tours.
- Photos of Recent Kahn Study Tour Now Posted to SAH Blog, SAH is pleased to announce updates to the SAH Study Tour blog, a place where Fellowship winners who participated in recent SAH Study Tours will post comments and photographs to document their experience on the tour. Visit recent updates from the Louis Kahn and Estates of Chicago's North Shore Study Tours
- Kahn Tour: Time and Materials
- Kahn Tour: Time and Materials, Bath House (1954-1959).
Rodin quote from Louis Kahn. “The Value and Aim in Sketching.” T-Square, by: J. Tobias In his oracular style, Kahn said that “material is spent light.” I think, ) plus fix (stasis).
Did I learn that as a child, Kahn used this coal for drawing, for lack, no accident that Rodin is a recurring theme in Kahn’s biography and article. He writes, “The drawings, this. During the tour someone quoted…someone…who said that Kahn worked on a project until he got fired