Deadline extended to September 30, 2020
The Society of Architectural Historians seeks nominations and self-nominations for five members to serve on a newly-established SAH Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accountability, and Sustainability (IDEAS) Committee. SAH recognizes that it needs to examine its culture, processes, and structure and take actionable steps in order to meet the goals laid out in its IDEAS Initiative. To that end, SAH will have an IDEAS Committee made up of SAH members, Board members, and staff. The Committee members will be charged with developing and guiding a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion policy that also encompasses Accountability and Sustainability. The Committee will work with the SAH Board and SAH Strategic Planning Committee to devise sustainable DEI strategies for SAH and will make recommendations for actions to promote meaningful change within the Society’s culture.
Members of the SAH IDEAS Committee are expected to:
- Commit to engage in a process of ongoing and collective learning focused on inclusion, diversity, equity, accountability, and sustainability.
- Review SAH policies, procedures, messaging, publications, and programs and outline recommendations/suggest changes to promote inclusion, diversity, equity, accountability, and sustainability.
- Make recommendations and advise SAH leadership on practices to foster an inclusive environment that encourages and values differing.
- Develop and guide a DEI policy and strategy for SAH and establish a short-term implementation plan.
- Facilitate and encourage ongoing discussion about DEI and the SAH IDEAS Initiative among board, staff, membership, and community stakeholders.
- Solicit feedback from board, staff, and membership to inform decision making, hold SAH accountable, and identify areas to improve and a timeline for doing so.
- Report to the SAH Board on the work of the Committee and progress towards DEI goals.
- Engage with SAH's Board, Affiliate Groups, chapters, staff and other stakeholders to ensure a diversity of voices are consulted on policies and calls to action.
Given that one of the main aims of the IDEAS Initiative is to better serve groups that are underrepresented in SAH, we strongly encourage BIPOC members to apply, as well as members who are from outside the U.S., members who work outside the academy, and members who have contingent employment. Committee members will serve a three-year term and will meet by video conference every two months. The Chair or Co-Chairs of the Committee will attend two SAH Board meetings annually (April and November) to discuss the progress of the SAH IDEAS Initiative.
To submit a nomination or self-nomination, please complete the SAH IDEAS Committee nomination form in the SAH Online Portal by September 30, 2020. Please submit a two-page CV for the candidate and a nomination of up to 500 words that states how the candidate’s experience supports the responsibilities of the Committee (above). If you are submitting a nomination of another individual, please discuss the nomination with the candidate to ensure ahead of time that they are able to serve.