The Society of Architectural Historians (SAH) presents year-round virtual programming through SAH CONNECTS, a series of workshops, roundtables, seminars, and discussions that focus on timely issues related to the history of the built environment. The Society invites individuals and those representing SAH Affiliate Groups, committees, publications, programs, online educational resources, chapters, and partner organizations to submit a proposal for consideration for SAH CONNECTS.
The purpose of SAH CONNECTS is to allow for virtual sharing of scholarship, professional development workshops, panel discussions, and other types of programs that will advance knowledge in the field of architectural history. We welcome proposals from those who study every time period and all aspects of the built environment, including landscape, urban history, heritage studies, and aspects of social justice as related to architecture.
SAH membership is required to moderate an SAH CONNECTS program. You do not need to be a member to submit, but we ask all moderator(s) to join SAH upon selection. Panelists do not need to be SAH members.
- SAH CONNECTS programs will be scheduled on the second and fourth Thursdays of the month. No programs will be scheduled in April, May, or September.
- SAH CONNECTS program length should be 1–1.5 hours maximum.
- SAH recommends a maximum of five panelists with presentations of 5–7 minutes each, followed by 30–45 minutes of audience Q&A and discussion.
- SAH CONNECTS programming should not mimic the form and content of an SAH conference paper session, but rather should employ formats such as discussions, panels, roundtables, and workshops.
- All programs will take place on Zoom.
- All programs will be recorded, and videos will made available to registrants and the public through the SAH video library.
- Registration is always free and open to the public.
- Preference will be given to programs that have the support of the SAH IDEAS Committee and SAH Affiliate Groups.
- Preference will be given to topics that are related to current events and timely issues.
- Book talks will not be considered.
- The portal for SAH CONNECTS programs is always open; you may submit a proposal at any time.
- SAH CONNECTS programs need a minimum of eight weeks of lead time for set-up, promotion, and implementation.
- Proposals will be evaluated quarterly. Applicants will be notified about the status of their proposal after the next quarterly SAH CONNECTS Programming and Advisory Committee meeting.
- The SAH Connects Programming and Advisory Committee is unable to accept the same proposal more than once in a one-year period.
Commitments if your proposal is selected:
If your submission is selected, you are committed to moderating the program, recruiting a diverse group of panelists/speakers, writing program description, gathering bios and headshots from all panelists/speakers, and overseeing the format you have chosen; for example, if you do not wish to moderate the program, you are responsible for recruiting an appropriate person to do it. All program moderators/panelists will be asked to sign a recording consent form.
Program submissions must include the following elements:
- A program title not longer than 65 characters, including spaces and punctuation
- Summary of the subject and the premise in no less than 200 words and no more than 500 words; list of proposed panelists; and suggested format for the event.
- Name, professional affiliation (if applicable), address, telephone, and email address (Please ensure that the information you are providing matches, if applicable, an existing SAH profile/membership account to avoid misdirecting communications. If it does not match what SAH has on file, please update your existing member profile to match your current information.)
- A current CV (2 pages maximum)
- Same information in #3 and #4 for co-moderator, if applicable
Although the SAH membership is international, SAH CONNECTS programming is conducted in English. Therefore, all submissions must be submitted in English and, if accepted, conducted in English.
Only proposals submitted through the SAH website portal will be considered.
SUBMIT YOUR PROPOSAL
Proposals will be reviewed by the SAH CONNECTS Programming and Advisory Committee.
For more information, please contact SAH Director of Programs Christopher Kirbabas at email@example.com.