The Society of Architectural Historians (SAH) invites nominations and self-nominations for the following two positions for the Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians (JSAH):
- Book Review Editor of Europe, Africa, and Asia to 1750
- Exhibition Review Editor
Each position is for a three-year term: January 1, 2024–December 31, 2026.
Candidates should be scholars of the history of the built environment with stature in the field and experience in editing book and/or exhibition reviews; institutional affiliation is not required. Candidates should be published authors of at least one peer-reviewed book.
Review editors play an essential role in keeping JSAH readers abreast of new scholarship. The JSAH Book Review Editor of Europe, Africa, and Asia to 1750 is responsible for commissioning and editing reviews of books published anywhere that deal with architecture across these regions from prehistory to 1750 and that are appropriate for coverage in JSAH. The JSAH Exhibition Review Editor is responsible for commissioning and editing reviews of exhibitions anywhere that deal with the built environment that are appropriate for coverage in JSAH. The Review Editors are asked to deliver at least four reviews per issue and are expected to serve the three-year term in its entirety.
SAH seeks to create a culture where candidates from all backgrounds and identities feel welcome and can thrive. We encourage candidates from underrepresented and marginalized groups to apply and self-identify in their application materials. SAH seeks applications from colleagues who will contribute to the diversity of perspectives and to conversations about the discipline’s engagements with differences of culture, religion, nationality, race, gender, sexuality, and access.
Required Application Materials:
With each nomination, please send the nominee’s name and full contact information, a 500-word statement describing qualifications for appointment, a CV, and the name and full contact information of at least one reference. Nominators should ascertain their nominee’s willingness to serve before submitting a name; self-nominations are also welcome.
SUBMIT A NOMINATION
The deadline has been extended to May 20, 2023. Candidates will be notified by May 25, 2023.
Candidates will be reviewed by the JSAH Editorial Advisory Committee and the selected Review Editor is expected to start recommending books for review by June 15, 2023, for publication in the March 2024 issue of JSAH.
This is a volunteer position. Although no remuneration is involved, the Editor’s name, institution, and contact information will be published in each issue of JSAH in print and online, as well as on the JSAH page of the SAH website. Because JSAH is one of the leading English-language journals that focuses on the history of the built environment, work as a JSAH Book Review Editor should be eligible for building a promotion and tenure case.
The responsibilities of review editors include the following:
- Selecting recently published peer-reviewed books (book review editor) or recent exhibitions (exhibition review editor) for written reviews.
- Identifying qualified subject experts and recruiting them to write a review on a single book or 2–3 books (book review editor) or a single exhibition or 2-3 exhibitions (exhibition review editor) on the same topic.
- Sending scheduled reminders to review authors.
- Once the text has been submitted, the review editor will review it for accuracy, biases, and content. They then forward their revised copy to the JSAH Editor for further review, before it is delivered for final editing to the JSAH Copy Editor. The Copy Editor returns the text to the original author for review.
- The author will review the edited copy and return it to the JSAH Copy Editor for typesetting.
- Once it is typeset the JSAH Managing Editor will return the proofs to the author for final review.
- After making final minor corrections, the JSAH Managing Editor will release the review to the University of California Press production staff to be published in a quarterly issue of JSAH.
The time commitment for a JSAH review editor is estimated to be 5–10 hours per week, on average. The editor should plan to work on reviews for three issues of JSAH simultaneously, in different stages of review or completion.